Is Your Business Prepared for Emergencies?
How quickly your company can get back to business after a fire or flood often depends on the emergency planning done today. The regular occurrence of natural disasters demonstrates the importance of being prepared for any emergency. While each situation is unique, your organization can be better prepared if you plan carefully, put emergency procedures in place, and practice for all kinds of emergencies.
According to FEMA, 40% of businesses never reopen after suffering a disaster. To avoid being on e of these businesses, make sure you have a plan in place for emergencies.
The following are common sense measures business owners and managers can take to start getting ready. A commitment to begin planning today will help support your employees, customers and the community. It also protects your business investment and gives your company a better chance for survival. Review the following questions to learn if your company is prepared.
- Do you know what kind of emergencies might affect your company?
- Do you know what you will do in an emergency situation?
Develop a Business Continuity Plan
- Do you know which staff, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep operating?
- Do you have backup plans for those operations?
- Do you know what you will do if your building or plant is not accessible?
- Do you know what you will do if your suppliers are impacted by a disaster?
- Are you ready for utility disruptions?
Prepare Your Emergency Plan
- Do you have an evacuation plan?
- Do you have a plan to communicate with employees before, during, and after an incident?
- Do you have copies of building and site maps with utilities and emergency routes marked?
- Are your employees trained for medical emergencies?
Practice the Emergency Plan
- Have you practiced your plan recently?
- Do you practice and coordinate with other businesses in your building or industrial complex?
- Have you reviewed your plans in the last 12 months?
Review Insurance Coverage
- Have you reviewed your insurance coverage recently to see if you’re covered in a disaster
Secure Your Facility and Equipment
- Have you secured all the ways people, products, and supplies get into your building?
- Have you conducted a room-by-room walk-through to determine what can be strapped down
- Do you regularly install patches to your software?
- Have you installed a firewall on your computer?
- Do you regularly update your antivirus software?
Promote Family and Individual Preparedness
- Do you encourage employees to have a personal emergency supply kit and a family communication plan?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, visit ready.gov and learn how to better prepare your business.
Also, give SERVPRO of North Everett/ Lake Stevens/ Monroe a call at 360-243-8313 and we can help you set up an Emergency READY Profile so you’ll be ready in case of an emergency. And if disaster does hit your business, we can help make it “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call today!